The National Service Scheme is the scheme launched in Gandhiji’s Birth Centenary Year 1969 by central government (Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports) for focus on the development of personality of students through community service. The main objective of this scheme is to developing student’s personality through community service, NSS is a voluntary association of young people in Colleges, Universities and at post graduate level working for a campus-community linkage and to inculcate social welfare in students, and to provide service to society without bias. NSS volunteers work to ensure that everyone who is needy gets help to enhance their standard of living and lead a life of dignity. In doing so, volunteers learn from people in villages how to lead a good life despite a scarcity of resources. It also provides help in natural and man-made disasters by providing food, clothing and first aid to the disaster victims.
Benefits of National Service Scheme
- Youth will better understand the community in which they work and they will understand themselves in relation to their community.
- By participating in NSS youth will acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes.
- Students or youth will able to utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems.
- Youth will get identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving, means problem solving ability will develop.
- They will develop a sense of social and civic responsibility among themselves.
- The youth will get the NSS certificate.
National Service Scheme conducts following activities
- Under NSS program youth needs to conduct a blood donation camp.
- It also provides help in natural and man-made disasters by providing food, clothing and first aid to the disaster victims.
- Tree plantation.
- Taking care of environment.
- NSS conducts Adventure programs.
Eligibility for applying National Service Scheme
- If the student wishes to participate into NSS then the student or youth must be perusing Graduation or Post Graduation from any respective college or university.
Document required for registration
- No documents are required for registration a student need to submit application form to college NSS coordinator.
- Passport size photo.
Whom to contact and where to contact
- If the youth wishes to participate and wants serve service through NSS then he should meet NSS coordinator of college or university.
References & details
- Official site – http://nss.nic.in