To provide affordable and quality medicines in India the government of India launched Jan Aushadhi Yojana in association with Department of Pharmaceuticals and Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers. The goal of the scheme is to provide quality medicines at the affordable and discounted prices. This is a two way scheme in which customer and pharmacist both get benefits of this scheme. The government has identified 504 essential medicines include antibiotics, pain-killers, vitamins and medicines used in treatment of cardiovascular, respiratory, diabetes and gastroenterology diseases. Under the scheme Jan Aushadhi Stores (JAS) will be open and generic medicines will be made available. A new department will be formed by the Department of Pharmacy which will be called as Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India (BPPI) and it will be responsible for the implementation and execution of the scheme. They will be responsible for procurement, marketing and distribution of the generic drugs.
What is Generic Medicine?
Generic medicines are the medicines which are not branded medicines but are quality and genuine medicines. In short they are the cheap alternatives for the branded medicines. Generic medicines are manufactured by government recognized pharmaceutical companies and certified private companies.
Objectives of the Jan Aushadhi Yojna:
- Medicines at the lower prices
- To promote awareness and use of cost effective drugs
- To provide unbranded quality generic medicines at affordable prices through public-private partnership
- Encourage doctors specifically in government hospital to prescribe generic medicines
- To help poor patients and those suffering from chronic ailments requiring drug usage for longer duration
Jan Aushadi Stores: Jan Aushadhi Yojana allows interested people to join government in the initiative by opening Jan Aushadhi Stores. These will be government certified medical stores. Generic and discounted medicines can be sold in the stores. Non-governmental organizations, charitable institutions, private hospitals, reputed professional organizations, self help groups and NGOs can apply for Jan Aushadhi stores in India.
Eligibility Criteria for Opening Jan Aushadhi Store:
- Applicant should be B. Pharma/M. Pharma degree holder
- Applicant must have own space to open Jan Aushadhi Store
- The property space should be rented/leased/owned
- The minimum required space for the store is 120 sq. ft.
- The applicant should have TIN NUMBER ( Tax Identification Number) along with sales license from competent authority i.e. Retails drug license
- Applicant should not be working anywhere else
- The applicant should have a pharmacy registration or certificate
- The applicant`s financial records for past 3 years should be up to date
Documents required for opening Jan Aushadhi Store:
- Aadhaar card
- PAN car
- Institutions/NGO/Charitable Institute/Hospital etc.
- Aadhaar Card
- Pan card
- Certificate for Incorporation
- Registration certificate
- Government/ Govt Nominated Agency:
- Details of Department who has allocated the space, along with supporting documents/ sanction order
- Pan card
- Aadhaar Card
- Mobile Jan Aushadhi Store:
- Demand draft for Rs. 2000
- Registration certificate of NGO/Institution
- Copy of the bylaws of the Institution
- Map showing Route of proposed Mobile Jan Aushadhi store
- Internal & external layout / design of proposed Mobile JAS including total area in sq. ft.
- Proof of financial capacity to run the store or affidavit to invest required to efficiently run Jan Aushadhi Mobile Store
Application Procedure for Opening Jan Aushadhi Store:
- Download the respective application form
- Take a printout of the form
- Fill it correctly
- Attach the documents mentioned accordingly
- Post it to the following address: DIRECTOR Operations Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India (BPPI), IDPL Corporate Office, IDPL Complex, Old Delhi Gurgaon Road, Dundahera, Gurgaon – 122016 (Haryana)
Contact Details for Jan Aushadhi Yojna
- The CEO, Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India (BPPI), IDPL Corporate Office, IDPL Complex, Old Delhi Gurgaon Road, Dundahera, Gurgaon – 122016 (Haryana)
- Phone: 0124-4223074/4556750, Fax:0124-2340370
More details & reference of Jan Aushadhi Yojna:
- Jan Aushadhi Yojna official site: http://janaushadhi.gov.in/about_jan_aushadhi.html
- Jan Aushadhi Store application form: http://janaushadhi.gov.in/data/Application%20Form.pdf
- Jan Aushadhi Store guidelines for Individuals Entrepreneurs/Unemployed Pharmacists/Doctors/Registered Medical Practitioners: http://janaushadhi.gov.in/data/Individuals_December_2016.pdf
- Jan Aushadhi Store guidelines for NGO Hospitals/Charitable Institutions/Private Hospitals/Trust/Societies/Self help Group: http://janaushadhi.gov.in/data/NGO_December_2016.pdf
- Jan Aushadhi Store guidelines for State Government Nominated Agencies: http://janaushadhi.gov.in/data/State_2016.pdf
- Jan Aushadhi Store guidelines for Mobile Jan Aushadhi Medical Store Scheme: http://janaushadhi.gov.in/data/Mobile%20Jan%20Aushadhi%20Store.pdf
- Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India: http://janaushadhi.gov.in/