The Government of Tamil Nadu has fulfilled a important AIADMK poll promise and launched free Wi-Fi zones in five cities in Tamil Nadu under Amma Free Wi-Fi Zones Scheme (அம்மா இலவச Wi-Fi மண்டலங்கள்). It was the poll promise by the former Chief Minister of TN Late J. Jayalalitha. She announced during the last state elections in September 2016 that 50 Wi-Fi spots will be setup in parks, commercial complexes & bus terminals. The scheme is inaugurated by the Chief Minister K. Palaniswami through video conferencing facility from the secretariat.
Amma Free Wi-Fi Zones: How it works?
- Free wifi zones are setup in 5 cities in Tamil Nadu
- Wifi zones are setup at the bus stands, commercial complexes, parks
- Wifi facility will be free for first 20 mins everyday for each of the users
- Subsequently users needs to pay Rs. 10 for every hour
The facility has been provided by state-run Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable TV Corporation (TACTV) and the budget of Rs. 8.50 crore is allocated.
Amma Free Wi-Fi Zones Cities:
Amma Free Wi-Fi Zones: Spots
- Labour Statue on the Marina
- Gandhipuram bus terminus in Coimbatore
- Central bus terminus in Salem and
- Tiruchy and Mattuthavani MGR bus terminus in Madurai
How to connect to Amma free wifi zones?
STEP 1: Go to the designated free wifi zones
STEP 2: Turn on the wifi on your mobile or laptop or tablet
STEP 3: Connect to Amma wi-fi network
STEP 4: As soon as you connect a login page will open, register first
STEP 5: On the registration page provide email and mobile number, an OTP will be sent to you
STEP 6: Re-enter the OTP and you will be able to use the free wifi
STEP 7: After 20 mins of usage the internet will stop working and a payment page will open
STEP 8: You can then choose hourly package and make payment, so choose the package first
STEP 9: Pay using debit card or credit card & keep using Amma Wi-Fi
Other important scheme