CMO Himachal Pradesh, Mr. Jai Ram Thakur, announced a scheme named ‘Assistance to Gausadan/ Gaushala/ Cow Sanctuary Scheme’ in the state. The main objective of this scheme is to make Himachal Pradesh stary cattle free in coming 1-2 years. Under this scheme efforts are being made, so that no one abandons/ deserts their cattle, cow sanctuaries will be developed in the state. On successful implementation of this scheme, Himachal Pradesh will be the first state in this field in the country.
|Scheme name:||Assistance to Gausadan/ Gaushala/ Cow Sanctuary Scheme|
|Scheme Under:||Himachal Pradesh Government|
|Launch Date:||August 3, 2020|
|Applicable State:||Himachal Pradesh|
|Beneficiaries:||Cow centres, Cow shelters, Cow sanctuaries|
|Major Objective:||To make the state stray cattle free by 2020-21|
- The main objective of the ‘Assistance to Gausadan/ Gaushala/ Cow Sanctuary Scheme’ is to make the state stray cattle free by providing shelters, sanctuaries for cows and cattle.
- No one will be allowed to abandon or dessert their cattle
- Under this scheme it is aimed to develop cow sanctuaries for the already abandoned cows and cattle
- Financial incentives will be given to registered cow centres under the scheme
- Assistance to Gausadan/ Gaushala/ Cow Sanctuary Scheme, will enable shelters for all the stray cows and cattle
- Under this scheme, Rs. 500 per cow per month will be provided to registered cow shelters and cow sanctuaries having 30 or more cattle as maintenance allowance.
- The cow dung from such cow sanctuaries would be purchased by the Agriculture department and sold to the farmers as vermi-compost
- Financial incentive will be given to the registered cow shelters and cow centres.
- This scheme will lead to provide shelters to the already abandoned cattle
- New sanctuaries will be developed in the state
- Fodder trees will be planted in the sanctuaries so that the cows would get green fodder
- Free vaccination will be provided to the cattle twice a year
- It will lead to animal welfare in the state as a whole.
Assistance to Gausadan/ Gaushala/ Cow Sanctuary Scheme – Key Points:
- This scheme was launched by CMO Himachal Pradesh Mr. Jai Ram Thakur, majorly for the welfare of stray cattle across the state
- While launching this scheme, he also launched ‘National Artificial Insemination Programme Phase 2’ of the state animal husbandry department
- CM also interacted with farmers, cattle rearers, members of Managing committee of Gausadans and Gaushalas in the state
- Under the scheme, financial assistance as maintenance allowance will be given to all the registered cow centres in the state, run by Panchayats, mahila mandals, local bodies, NGOs, etc
- In the first cabinet meeting, decision was made to provide shelters to stray cattle by levying Re.1 cess on liquor bottles for construction and maintenance of cow shelters
Now the cess has been increased to Rs. 1,50 per liquor bottle to develop new cow sanctuaries
- Under the National Artificial Insemination Programme Phase 2, the facility of Artificial insemination will be provided to improve the breed of cattle, thereby benefiting 8 lakh farmers of the state
- Seven cow sanctuaries are being developed in seven districts, they would be functional soon
- Fodder trees, free vaccination, capacity enhancement of cow sanctuaries were the points discussed at the time of scheme launch
- The scheme launch details are published by the state government through a press release on its official website @ himachalpr.gov.in