On September 10, 2020, Indian Department of Post has launched ‘Five Star Villages Scheme’ to cover the flagship postal schemes in the village areas. Union Communications Minister, Sanjay Dhotre announced the launch. Under this scheme, 5 different schemes are included which will be marketed for a greater reach in the village areas across the country. It will enable the villagers to know about the available postal services. Villages which take up and implement all the 5 schemes will be given 5-star rating, the village which implements 4 schemes will get 4-star rating and so on. This scheme is currently launched on a pilot base. Currently the scheme will cover the state of Maharashtra only, and based on the results and experience it will then be implemented across the country.
|Scheme name:||Five Star Villages Scheme|
|Scheme under:||Central Government|
|Launch date:||September 10, 2020|
|Launched By:||Union Communications Minister, Sanjay Dhotre|
|End Beneficiaries:||Villages across the country|
|Benefit:||Awareness about the products and schemes of the Postal department|
|Main Objective:||To create awareness among the villagers and market the postal services for increasing the reach.|
Objectives and Benefits:
- Five Star Villages scheme is mainly launched for marketing the products and services of the postal department in the rural/ village areas in the country
- It will lead to awareness in the villagers for the postal department’s schemes and services thereby increasing the reach and usage
- Door-to-door awareness campaigns will be conducted in the villages
- Branch officer will function as one-stop solution for the post related needs.
- It will lead to overall development of the postal sector across the country in the long run.
5 schemes included under the Five Star Villages Scheme:
- Savings bank accounts, Recurrent deposit accounts, NSC/KVP certificates
- Sukanya Samridhi accounts/ PPF accounts
- Funded Post Office Savings account linked India Post Payments bank accounts
- Postal life insurance policy/ Rural postal life insurance policy
- Pradhan Mantri suraksha bima yojana account/ Pradhan Mantri Jeevan bima yojana account.
- The Five-star villages scheme is currently launched on a pilot basis in the state of Maharashtra
- Based on the results and experience it will then be implemented nation wide
- The scheme currently covers the entire state of Maharashtra divided region wise
- For each region 2 districts have been covered like – Akola and Washim in Nagpur region, Parbhani and Hingoli in Aurangabad region, Solapur and Pandharpur in Pune region, Kolhapur and Sangli in Goa region and Malegaon and Palghar in Navi Mumbai region.
- 50 villages in each district will be covered under the scheme, which will be identified by the Regional offices
- Branch offices will function as one stop solution for the postal needs of the villagers
- Scheme will be implemented by a team of 5 Gramin Dak Sevaks assigned for every village
- Teams will be headed by the branch Post Master of the Branch Officer respectively
- The performance of the teams will be monitored on a daily basis by the Divisional head, Assistant superintendents’ posts and inspector posts
- Mail overseer will also keep a personal watch on the daily performance of the teams
- Monthly progress will be measured by the Chief post master general
- The teams will conduct door-to-door visits to conduct awareness for the schemes
- Branch offices will be provided with the essential training for effectively implementing the scheme
- Accordingly, the villages implementing all the 5 schemes successfully will get 5-star rating/status, the villages implementing any 4 out of 5 schemes will get 40star rating/status and so on as a recognition of achievements’