On September 11, 2020, CMO Odisha, Naveen Patnaik launched ‘Garima’ scheme in the state virtually via video conferencing. This scheme is mainly for the sanitation workers and their families. It aims at providing financial security and dignity to the sanitation workers across the state. The scheme benefits about 20,000 sanitation workers along with their families which counts to about 1,00,000 population of the state.
|Scheme name:||Garima Scheme|
|Scheme under:||Odisha Government|
|Launched By:||CMO Odisha, Naveen Patnaik|
|Launch Date:||September 11, 2020|
|Beneficiaries:||Sanitation workers and their families|
|Benefit:||Financial security and dignity to the sanitation workers|
|Major Objective:||To improve livelihood of the sanitation workers and provide financial as well as social security to them.|
Scheme Objectives and Benefits:
- The main objective of the scheme is to provide the sanitation workers in the state with the financial and social security
- The scheme aims at ensuring safety and dignity to the sanitation workers
- The workers will also be provided a subsidy for house construction, injury, EPF, retirement benefits, etc
- Under the scheme, the workers will be provided training for acquiring new skills and improving existing skills.
- Sanitation workers and their families will be provided with health insurance scheme and timely health check-ups.
- This scheme will help the sanitation workers to improve their livelihood and overall conditions.
- Garima scheme is launched by the Odisha government for benefiting 20,000 sanitation workers and their families counting to 1 lakh of total population
- The estimated fund reserved for the scheme is Rs. 50 crores for the start
- A state commission of Core Sanitation Workers is constituted under the scheme
- Implementation of the scheme will be done in all 114 urban local bodies of Odisha.
- Sanitation workers working in core sanitation jobs in the state are eligible under the scheme
- A survey will be conducted all over the state to state the eligible beneficiaries
- These eligible workers/ beneficiaries will be then registered under a database of Swachh Sahar Odisha portal
- Registration of private sanitation services organisations (PSSOs) with ULBs will be done under the scheme mainly for the provision of sanitation services
- Risk allowance, insurance facilities, housing assistance, protection in case of injury/accident, EPF, retirement benefits, etc
- Working hours of the sanitation workers will be limited to 6 hours per day
- Overall financial security will be provided to the sanitation workers and their families under the scheme
- The workers will also get counselling support to learn new skills
- This is a unique scheme launched by Odisha state which provides a separate package for the improvement of life conditions and financial security to the sanitation workers and their families across the state.