The Modi Government in its bold move is planning to launch 7 scheme in 17,000 villages in just 21 days. The initiative is called as Gram Swaraj Abhiyan (GSA-SI). Villages across the countries 484 districts in 33 states and union territories of the country are chosen and will benefit from the scheme.
Gram Swaraj Abhiyan-Special Interventions: Benefits
Under the GSA-SI a package of 7 following scheme & benefits will be implemented and provided to 17,000 villages across the country. The 7 schemes and packages are:
- Free LPG connection (Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana)
- Electricity connection & LED bulb distribution Scheme (Saubhagya or Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana & Ujala Yojana)
- Jan Dhan Accounts (Jan Dhan Yojana)
- 2 Pradhan Mantri Insurance schemes (Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Yojana)
- Immunization for children
The initiative is most probably be launched on 14th April, Dr. Babasaheb R. Ambedkar’s birth anniversary. The BJP government was recently criticized by the opposition due to farmers protests and dalit protest. The recent distress and dilution of Dalit rights is the major concern of the government has hence the government is planning to show the impact in terms of the schemes.
Maximum villages selected under the scheme are from Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Tamil Nadu, Punjab and Meghalaya are maximum in number. The Gram Swaraj Abhiyan will be implemented between April 15 and May 5.
Gram Swaraj Abhiyan Program: During these 22 days under Gram Swaraj Abhiyan Program some of the days are dedicated to the popular schemes and will be celebrated schemes day as mentioned below:
- April 18: Swachh Bharat Parv
- April 20: Ujwala Diwas
- April 24: Panchayati Raj Diwas
- April 28: Gram Shakti Abhiyan
- April 30: Ayushman Bharat Diwas
- May 2: A Kishan Kalyan Karyashala, focussed on empowering farmers by doubling their income, will be organized
- May 5: Kaushal Vikas Mela will be held for the labour
Union Rural Development Minister Narendra Singh Tomar announced Gram Swaraj Abhiyan Program will be started on Saturday. Under the program the elected representatives will go back to villages in their constituencies and is asked to make sure that the people are made aware of all the government schemes & encourage people to take benefits of the schemes. Most of the welfare schemes are for people living in rural areas and are poor.
1000 central government employees are selected to work on the Gram Swaraj Abhiyan and they would work along with the state government officials.