Domicile Certificate is a document of proof that the person is a resident of a certain state. It is issued by the respective state government. Domicile certificate is also called as Residence Certificate. It can be applied by any resident irrespective of caste.
Need of Domicile Certificate:
Domicile certificate is required while taking admissions, for availing the state implemented scholarship scheme, to apply for government jobs where local candidates are required, for availing benefits of other state government schemes, etc
Important documents required while applying for a Domicile Certificate:
Proof of Identity: Any 1 of the following documents
- PAN Card
- Election Card
- Self-attested copy of Aadhaar Card
- Driving License
- Identity Card issued by Govt. organisation
- Applicant Photo, Signature
Proof of Address: Any 1 of the following documents
- Election Card
- Aadhaar Card
- Electricity Bill
- Ration Card
- Telephone bill
- Smart Card/Heath Card
Passport sized photo
The above-mentioned original documents are to be produced for verification and these are to be submitted in copies for further process.
- The applicant should mandatory be a resident of Tamil Nadu state for more than 6 years
- Women who are belonging to other state but got married to a permanent resident of Tamil Nadu are also eligible
How to Apply for Domicile/ Residence Certificate:
One can apply for domicile certificate in Tamil Nadu either Online or Offline:
For Applying Online:
- The applicant is required to visit the official website @ tnesevai.tn.gov.in
- Click on Citizen Login tab
- Then select the New User? Sign Up here option
- For registration, fill in the details for registration like, Full name, district, taluka.
- Enter Aadhaar no., Mobile no., email ID, desired Login id
- Create a password and Confirm the same by re-entering it
- Enter captcha code
- Click on Sign up
- Mobile and email will be verified through OTP, after successful registration, an intimation for the same will be sent to the registered mobile no. and email id, go for log in from the home page
- After logging in, Select Revenue department option
- Click on Residence certificate and Proceed for applying online for the same
- On the next page, fill in the details like CAN no., address details (permanent and current), contact details, full name, age, etc
- Upload the necessary documents in the prescribed format
- After uploading the documents, make payment if required for the same
- Acknowledgement receipt will be displayed, take a printout of the same for future reference.
- After successful submission of the form, the applicant can check the application status from the same portal
- Application and supporting documents are thoroughly verified by the concerned authorities and then the certificate is issued.
- Applicant can also download the certificate once the process is completed
For Applying Offline:
- Visit the nearest e Sevai centre/ Tehsildar Office/ Revenue Office/District Collector’s office
- Get the application form (Hard copy) and fill it with the required details and then submit with all the necessary documents.
- Applicant can also take a printout of the application form from the site, manually fill it, sign the declaration and submit it in the office with all the necessary documents. Fee payment is to be made.
- Application will be verified by the Circle officer/VAO/Revenue Inspector
- After thorough verification of documents submitted, the domicile certificate will be issued and sent to the registered address.
- Offline Application form format is as given below
Processing Time: A period of 15-30 days is required for processing a Domicile /Residence Certificate in Tamil Nadu
Validity: Domicile certificate is valid for life time, in case of permanent residence category
Helpline No./Call Centre No.:
In case of any difficulty or Query or Clarification, the applicant can call on the official Toll-Free no. 1800-425-1333. Or email to email@example.com . This service is available 24*7.