Ration Card is an essential document for availing necessary basic food items at lower prices. It is issued by the respective state government based on the income/economic status. It can be applied by any resident irrespective of caste.
Need of Ration Card:
Ration Card is required as an identity proof, for getting necessary food items at lower prices, for availing reservation, as a proof while applying for Aadhaar Card, Domicile Certificate, etc.
Types of Ration card:
- Light Green Cards, issued for rice and other commodities from Fair Price Shops (FPS)
- White Cards, issued for extra 3 kg sugar over the prescribed quota
- No Commodity Card, issued to people who are not entitled to draw any commodity from ration shops
- Khaki Card, issued to the police personnel up to rank of inspectors
Important documents required while applying for a Ration Card:
Proof of Identity: Any 1 of the following documents
- PAN Card
- Election Card
- Driving License
- Identity Card/document issued by Govt. organisation
Proof of Address: Any 1 of the following documents
- Election Card
- Aadhaar Card
- Electricity Bill
- Ration Card
- Telephone bill
- Driving License
Passport sized photo
The above-mentioned original documents are to be produced for verification and these are to be submitted in copies for further process.
- Applicant and his/her family members should be Citizens of India
- The applicant and his/her family should mandatory be a residents of Tamil Nadu state
How to Apply for Ration card:
One can apply for Ration Card in Tamil Nadu either Online or Offline:
For Applying Online:
- The applicant is required to visit the official website of TNPDS department @ tnpds.gov.in
- Click on the Smart Card option on the home page
- Fill in the required details like, address details, family head details, mobile no., postal code, email address
- Affix a passport sized photo
- Then fill in details regarding name, gender, DOB, relation with all the family members
- Select the card type, upload a proof of residence, confirm the gas connection availability
- Tick the checkbox for confirming the details are true and fair and then click on Submit.
- After successful submission a reference no. will be generated and sent to the registered mobile and email
- After proper verification of documents, the ration card will be issued to the applicant
- The applicant can also check the status of the application and download it on the same site, by logging in with the reference no. received earlier
For Applying Offline:
- Visit the nearest Ration shop.
- Get the application form (Hard copy) and fill it with the required details and then submit with all the necessary documents.
- Applicant can also take a printout of the application form from the site, manually fill it, sign the declaration, paste photograph and submit it in the office with all the necessary documents. Fee payment is to be made if required
- On getting the application form, applicant will get a receipt/ reference no. as acknowledgement from the office.
- Application will be verified by the Supply officer
- After thorough verification of documents submitted, the Ration card will be issued and sent to the registered address by post.
For Applying through mobile app:
One can also apply for ration card in Tamil Nadu with the help of a smart phone. Go to google play store, put TNEPDS app or PDS Public Mobile app in the search bar and click on Install. Log in and upload the necessary documents and submit the application
Processing Time: A period of 2-3 weeks is required for processing a Ration card in Tamil Nadu
Validity: Ration card is valid for lifetime and is to be renewed after 5 years.
No./Call Centre No.:
In case of any difficulty or Query or Clarification related to Smart Card, the applicant can call on the official Toll-Free no. 1800-425-5901 or 1967 or applicant can also email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This service is available 24*7.