Voting is the basic right of every citizen of our country. This right is given once a person is 18 years of age. Voter Id is mandatory for voting. Voting is done for state as well as national level elections. It can be applied by any resident irrespective of caste. A voter id is also known as Electors Photo Identity Card/Election card/Voter’s card.
Need of Voter Id:
Voter ID is considered as a valid proof of identity and address, provides the right to exercise voting, can be utilized in certain government schemes, as a proof while applying for various documents like Domicile, Income certificate, etc.
Important documents required while applying for a Voter ID:
Proof of Identity: Any 1 of the following documents
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Identity Card issued by Govt. organisation
Proof of Address: Any 1 of the following documents
- Aadhaar Card
- Water bill
- Electricity Bill
- Ration Card
- Telephone bill
- Driving License
- Property Tax Receipt
Passport sized photo
How to Apply for Voter ID:
One can apply for Voter ID in Tamil Nadu either Online or Offline:
For Applying Online:
- The applicant is required to visit the official website of Chief Electoral Officer of Tamil Nadu @ elections.tn.gov.in
- Click on the Our services tab and select electoral services and then Online Registration Facility from the drop-down list
- Then page will be redirected to national voters’ services portal
- Click on Login/Register tab and complete the registration.
- Enter a valid mobile no. and get it verified via OTP
- Then, enter the email Id, create a password and confirm the same
- Enter captcha and click on Register
- After successful registration enter the mail ID and password and Login
- Then select the Fresh inclusion/ Enrollment option
- On the next page, select ‘I reside in India’ and select the state of residence i.e. Tamil Nadu
- Then fill in the personal details like name, address, age, DOB, etc
- Fill in the address details, postal address as well as permanent address
- Fill in the details of Disability (if applicable)
- Upload the necessary documents like photo, age proof, address proof. Upload the document and select he type of document.
- Sign the Declaration, fill details like town/village name, state, district, date, place etc. And Submit.
- Once submitted, applicant will get an acknowledgement slip and application/reference number
- Take a printout for future reference.
- Personal verification maybe conducted
- Applicant will be notified on Email Id and Mobile no. when the process of verification is complete.
- Voter card will be sent to the registered address, by post.
For Applying Offline:
- Visit the nearest Electoral Office near residence and get the Form 6
- Fill it with the required details and then submit with all the necessary documents.
- Applicant can also take a printout of the application form from the site, manually fill it, sign the declaration, paste photograph and submit it in the office with all the necessary documents.
- Applicant will get an application no. for reference/reference ID
- After thorough verification and investigation of documents submitted by the concerned authorities, the Voter Card will be issued and sent by post.
The applicant can also check the application status on the home page of the Tamil Nadu CEO portal/NVSP. Enter the reference ID received while application and track the status of your application.