Government of Jammu & Kashmir has rolled out ‘Karkhandar Scheme’ for development of craft sector as well as betterment of craftsmen and artisans in the union territory on August 16, 2021. This scheme will be implemented by Department of Handicrafts and Handloom, Kashmir on a pilot basis. This scheme aims to revive the art and craft sector in Jammu and Kashmir. Craftsmen and artisans who are facing exploitation in the sector will get assistance. Skill training will be provided to the artisans for upgrading their skills and increasing the productivity and income. Financial assistance will also be provided by the government under the scheme. After facing the pandemic and difficult situations, this scheme will turn out to be a boon for the artisans in the union territory thereby ensuring their welfare.
|Scheme name||Karkhandar Scheme|
|Scheme Under||Jammu and Kashmir Government|
|Implementing Agency||Directorates of Handicrafts and Handloom Kashmir/ Jammu|
|Beneficiaries||Craftsmen and Artisans in the union territory|
|Objective||To develop the craft sector as well as ensure welfare and betterment of craftsmen and artisans in the union territory.|
Objectives and Benefits:
- The main objective of the scheme is to revive and develop craft sector in the union territory.
- It also aims at providing assistance to the craftsmen and artisans.
- Under this scheme the meritorious trainees from training centers will be provided with training for upgrading their skills.
- It tends to improve the wage earnings of the craftsmen
- It also aims at creating linkages with producer organizations to imbibe entrepreneurship skill and aptitude to the trainees.
- Financial assistance will also be provided to the trainees and the karkhandars under this scheme
- This scheme will ensure betterment and welfare of the craftsmen and artisans in the union territory.
- Pass-out meritorious trainees from the training centers run by Handicrafts and Handloom department. However, this will not be applicable in case of languishing crafts.
- Minimum of five trainees will be required for an identified small karkhana and maximum of ten trainees will be required for an identified big karkhana.
- Jammu and Kashmir government rolled out Karkhandar scheme in the union territory for reviving and developing the craft sector.
- It tends to assist the artisans and craftsmen in the union territory.
- This scheme will be implemented by the Department of Handicrafts and Handloom on the pilot basis initially.
- The department will encourage the meritorious passed out trainees/ ex trainees of the departmental training centers register under the scheme.
- Walnut wood carving, kani shawl weaving, paper machie crafts, tapestry, willow wricker and other crafts will be given priority,
- Application forms are available in the notification pdf on the official website of Industries and Commerce Department @jkindustriescommerce.nic.in
- Registration cards will be issued by the department.
- The officials will assist the artisans in opening their bank accounts under the Jan Dhan Yojana.
- A complete database of the artisans will be maintained including details like identity card no., photos, Aadhaar no., bank account details, etc.
- Karkhandars willing to enroll trainees will have to fill out a separate form available in the notification pdf itself.
- Required logistics like tools, equipment, raw materials, space, etc., will be provided to the group of artisans by the Karkhandar.
- Government will provide a financial assistance of lump sum Rs. 25,000 to the Karkhandars against the expense incurred by him on the logistics
- This assistance will be provided in two equal installments.
- Government will provide Rs. 2000 per month as stipend to the trainees.
- This assistance amount will be provided through direct bank transfer into the respective bank accounts.
- Training or probationary period under the scheme will be six months.
- This scheme will help in skill upgradation and boost the income of the artisans.
- It will revive the craft sector in the union territory thereby ensuring welfare of the craftsmen and artisans.