Government has revised the scheme to encourage marriage with dalit. Government will give an incentive of Rs. 2.5 lakh to the non-scheduled caste person if he/she marries to a scheduled caste person. The scheme was launched in 2013 to break caste barriers but only those couples whose yearly income is less than Rs. 5 lakh. The Modi government has removed the condition related to the income and now anyone who marries a dalit can get the incentive of Rs. 2.5 lakh.
Social Justice Ministry`s Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Foundation implements the scheme and the couples need to apply to the foundation for the incentive when they get married. The incentive will be given to the couple over the period of three years to prevent the fraud. Under the new rule the couple will given the incentive in two installments. First installment is given to the couple immediately after they get married once they apply and their request is cleared by the Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Foundation. The second installment of Rs. 1 lakh is deposited to their joint account but they can withdraw only after 3 years.
Highlights of the inter-caste marriage scheme:
- Government will pay incentive of Rs. 2.5 lakh to the couple who does intercaste marriage with a dalit
- The scheme to encourage intercaste marriage with scheduled caste
- The scheme will break the caste barriers in the society
- Inter-caste marriage was launched in 2013
- The condition in the income of Rs. 5 lakh is now removed