The Prime Minister of India Shree Narendra Modi launched yet another ambitious scheme related to health called National Nutrition Mission (NNM) / राष्ट्रीय पोषण मिशन. The scheme is launched on the International Women`s day celebrations in Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan. He also announced the expansion of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) covering all 640 districts of the Country. The PM redefined the acronym for PM to ‘Poshan Mission’ (पोषण मिशन). In his address the PM said National Nutrition Mission (NNM) and Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) should run hand in hand in from of Mass Movement/Jan Andolan (जन आंदोलन).
What is National Nutrition Mission (NNM) / राष्ट्रीय पोषण मिशन? Prime Minister`s ambitious scheme to create awareness about importance of nutritions & nutritious food in India.
Objective of National Nutrition Mission (NNM):
- To reduce stunting, under-nutrition, anemia among young children, women and adolescent girls and
- To reduce low birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3% and 2% per annum respectively
- To create awareness about the nutritious food and to maintain nutritious levels especially in girls in the country
- To create healthy and happy lifestyles across the country
National Nutrition Mission (NNM) Highlights & Implementation:
- A scheme launched by PM Narendra Modi to maintain nutrition levels in the country
- A budget of Rs. 9046.17 crore is provided for three years starting from 2017-18
- NNM is a comprehensive approach towards raising nutrition level in the country
- NNM is a combination of various schemes addressing malnutrition ICT based Real Time Monitoring system, incentivizing States/UTs for meeting the targets, incentivizing Anganwadi Workers (AWWs) for using IT based tools, eliminating registers used by AWWs, introducing measurement of height of children at the Anganwadi Centres (AWCs), Social Audits, setting-up Nutrition Resource Centres