Government of Karnataka has launched Prabuddha Scheme to support SC / ST students in the state to study overseas. The state government will bare the cost of course fees, accommodation & travel expenses for scheduled tribes & scheduled class students. The scheme also provide 33% reservation to the women & 4% to the disabled students also. The primary objective of the scheme is to provide equal opportunities to the students from the socially backward classes.
Prabuddha Scheme: A government of Karnataka scheme to help SC / ST students in the state to study overseas
- To empower SC/ST students & their families
- To provide equal opportunities to the socially backward students
- Financial assistance to study abroad in foreign countries
- Government to bare cost of course fees, travel, accommodation etc
- Students can pursue graduation, post-graduation & PhD programs in foreign universities
- 100% education expenses will be covered by government for those who`s family income is less then 8 lakh ruppes per year
- 50% expenses will be covered for those students who`s family income is between Rs. 8 lakh – 15 lakh
- 33% expenses will be bared by the government who`s family income is more than Rs. 15 lakh
Prabuddha Scheme Eligibility:
- Applicable only to the permanent residents of Karnataka only
- Students from schedule caste (SC) & scheduled tribes (ST) only can apply
- Students can apply only once under the scheme
- Maximum 2 students from a family can apply
- Only those students who cleared Graduate Record Examinations (GRE), Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), Scholarship Aptitude / Assessment Test (SAT) & other qualifying examinations are eligible
The state government has alloted budget of Rs. 120 crore for the scheme. 400 students from the SC/ST communities to get benefited from the scheme & study abroad at free of cost. 250 students for under-graduate courses & 150 for post-graduation will be selected for free foreign studies under Prabuddha Scheme. Department of Social Welfare will implement the scheme.
Courses Covered under Prabuddha Scheme: Engineering, Basic Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Social Sciences, Commerce, Economics, Psychology, Law, Fine Arts & others.