Prime Minister of India Shree Narendra Modi lanched Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan (PMGDSA) on 6th October during inauguration ceremony of a building in IIT Gandhinagar. The prime minister was on two day visit of his home state Gujarat. The mission of the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan is to create digital literacy in rural areas which is a key for success of the Narendra Modi`s Digital India Mission.
The prime minister in his address invite the people of the country to adopt to the digital tools and services launched by the government. Digital platforms ensure transparency, effectiveness and good governance said the prime minister. Chief Minister of Gujarat Vijaibhai Rupani, Minister of Electronics and IT Ravi Shankar Prasad and Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javdekar were also present at the function. In is speech the prime minister emphasized on the importance of the Digital Saksharta Abhiyan in the nation building. He invited educated and people in urban areas to actively participate and contribute to the mission. The participation and spread of digital revolution is been in restricted to mostly in Tier I and Tier II cities in the country. Based on a NSSO survey more than 150 Mn rural households are still away from digital revolution and don’t have computer/smartphones and Internet.
Highlights of Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan:
- A flagship program under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Government is planning to bring digital literacy in 60 Mn rural households by March 2019
- Announced by the Finance Minister Arun Jeitely in 2016-17 union budget
- Budget of Rs. 2,351.38 Cr allocated to the mission
- Ministry of Electronics & IT in collaboration with state governments to implement the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan
- People from rural areas to be trained on use of computers and smartphones, browsing internet, send and receive emails, using online government service, digital transactions, digital and mobile wallets, mobile banking, UPI and Aadhar Enabled Payment System (AEPS)
- Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan web portal: https://www.pmgdisha.in/
Pages: 1 2