Visa, it is the most important step while travelling at an international destination. Before entering any foreign country everyone has to go through this visa application procedure. Basically F-1 visa is a type of stamping on your passport endorsed by the specific country government which says that a person is allowed to study and stay in the USA for a specified period of time. Visa is issued by the embassy of respective country. Since it shows your status, it is the most crucial requirement because it validates your presence at an exotic land. Over many destinations in the world hottest destinations are United States of America, United Kingdom and Australia.
Student Visa: If a person is going to any foreign country with an intention of pursuing education in that country he/she has to apply for Student Visa. Different country call it differently. In USA it is F-1 visa. There are many requirements and procedures to be followed before booking for an appointment. This article covers almost all the ups and downs of the process.
Procedure to follow for F-1 Visa:
- Based on the student’s interest, student should Shortlist University and must apply for the admission to a particular university.
- The next important stage is securing an admission at any well reputed and not black listed USA university.
- Once university grants an admission to the student, student must apply to issue the I-20 certificate.
- Now once student gets I-20, the next step is to pay SEVIS (Student & Exchange Visitor Information System) fee which is actually the form I-190 which is issued by Department of Homeland Security, USA. (Apply for SEVIS at this link: https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/)
- Pay the Visa application fee $160
- Complete the form DS-160 which is actually the visa form.
- Now book a date for visa interview from the available slots.
- After the booking of date you have to be there at consulate on the day of interview with all set of required documents.
- The decision over your application is given immediately. If rejected passport is handed directly to you but if visa is approved then it takes a week to get your passport.
Documents required for F-1 Visa interview
- Sevis Fee receipt
- Visa Fee receipt
- Visa appointment copy
- Recent valid passport plus printed copy
- Mark Sheets
- Degree Certificate (no provisional degree certificate)
- I-20 certificate
- Loan + Finances related documents
- Passport size photo.
Whom to approach for booking an F-1 Visa interview date
Procedure for applying a Visa is almost online. To book an appointment student needs to visit US embassy official website and complete all procedures online and schedule an appointment. Interview takes place at US consulates.
USA consulates in India:
- The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi:
Shanti Path, Chanakya Puri 110021
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay)
C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras)
220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Culcutta)
5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad
Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003
Online registration links