The Punjab Cabinet has approved Smartphone Distribution Scheme, a free mobile phone distribution scheme for the youth in the state. Students studying in government schools, youth in government colleges & institutions will be given free smartphone along with free internet & voice pack under the scheme.
The free smartphone distribution was the Chief Minister Capt. Amarinder Singh`s poll promise. In his last term as CM he had announced if he is voted into the power again then his government will distribute 50 lakh smartphones amongst the youth in the state. The decision is now taken in the cabinet meeting on 2nd January 2019.
Punjab Smartphone Distribution Scheme: A Punjab Government`s scheme to distribute free smartphones to the youth in the state.
- To empower youth
- To provide digital connectivity to them
- To provide learning material & employment opportunities online
- To connect them to the world
- To provide equal opportunities to the poor students & youth in the state
Punjab Free Smartphone Specification & Scheme Benefits:
- Free smartphone,
- One year free internet (12 GB of mobile data)
- 600 minutes of talk time for voice calls
- Validity of one year
Eligibility & Beneficiaries:
- First phase is applicable only to the youth in Punjab only
- Students & youth studying in government schools, colleges & technical institutes
Punjab Free Smart-phone Distribution Scheme Implementation:
- Phones will be distributed in phases
- First phase is for students & youth
- First phase of phone distribution to start in March 2019
- Vendors will be selected through open & transparent bidding process
- Punjab Information & Communication Technology Corporation will open tender for the same
Fulfilling another poll promise, my govt is all set to provide smart phones to the youth. #PunjabCabinet today approved the modalities for distribution of phones. We’ll cover graduating students of govt. educational institutions in the 1st phase. pic.twitter.com/5Turv0EDyr
— Capt.Amarinder Singh (@capt_amarinder) January 2, 2019