The Human Resource Development Minister of Government of India Shri. Prakash Javdekar launched SPARC Portal for Promotion of Academic & Research Collaboration website sparc.iitkgp.ac.in The SPARC & IMPRESS scheme intends to create and improve research ecosystem between Indian institutions. The scheme focuses on the higher education and promotion and support for research and researchers in India. The scheme will provide collaboration platform form the Indian institutes and worlds some of the best research institutes and universities. The scheme will be implemented by 31st March 2020 and Government of India has alloted budget of Rs. 418 crore for the scheme.
Under the SPARC initiative 200 research proposals relevant to social reforms will be awarded in next 2 years. The Indian Institute of technology Kharagpur (IITK) will implement the SPARC scheme.
SPARC & IMPRESS Portal for Promotion of Academic & Research Collaboration Benefits:
- Will enable academic and research collaboration amongst researchers from Indian institutes and foreign institutes
- Researchers from the top Indian educational institutions will be able to visit foreign institutes/universities and stay for the long duration to carry out their research
- Research students will be able to visit top world class labs and carry out their experiments and research
- Indian and foreign institutes will take part in the joint development of courses, monographs, translatable patents, world-class books, demonstrable technologies or action oriented research outcomes and products
- INDO-X Workshop an annual international conference will be organized by India to publicize the research and outcomes
- SPARC will provide internal expertise and exposure to the Indian academicians
- It will help in solving social and national issues in India
- Funding for the research projects will be provided under SPARC
- Top 100 Indian institutes and universities according to India Rankings (NIRF) are eligible to apply
- Top 100 in each of the NIRF categories are also eligible
- All those private institutes recognized under Section 12(B) of UGC Act are eligible
- Foreign institutes from Top 500 QS World University Rankings or in the top-200 of QS World University Rankings are eligible to apply for partnership
- Partner institutes must be from the following institutes: Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, United Canada, America(USA) Kong, Spain, Sweden, of France, China, States Brazil, Switzerland, Portugal, Hong Singapore, Israel, Korea, Kingdom(UK), New South Japan, Australia, United Zealand, Russia, Africa, Finland, Italy, Austria, Taiwan and South Denmark
254 top Indian institutes and 478 institutes from top global institutes are identified under the SPARC.
Fields identified under SPARC & IMPRESS: Fundamental Research, Emergent Areas of Impact, Convergence, Action-Oriented Research and Innovation-Driven) and sub-theme areas in each thrust area are the 5 thrust areas which will be sponsored under the scheme.