The Odisha government was launched the Student Traffic Volunteer Scheme (STVS) in 2017. In order to smoothen the traffic of major cities of Odisha, the state had decided to take help of university and college students as volunteers in managing traffic. The students of universities and college students can help the police in managing traffic during the rush hours.
Under the scheme, a student has to work three hours per day as a volunteer for managing the traffic and they are paid Rs. 3,000 every month for their service. This amount directly transferred to their bank account. Also, the volunteer will be provided a special dress and cap. The selection is made based on the behavior and other factors of the applicant students. The students are given a brief and training before starting the traffic management. They are taught traffic rules and lessons on traffic management. This scheme was launched in Bhubaneshwar and Cuttack cities to start with. After, the successful implementation of this scheme in Bhubaneshwar and Cuttack, now it is extended to Rourkela, Sambalpur, Berhampur, Balasore and Koraput cities. Government will also provide insurance cover to the selected volunteers. The objective of the scheme is to encourage students for the social service and financially help needy students.
What is the Student Traffic Volunteer Scheme (STVS)? An Odisha government scheme for college and universities student to work as a volunteer in managing traffic and earn an incentive
Student Traffic Volunteer Scheme (STVS): Objective
- To create awareness among students for traffic rules
- To encourage students for social service and public services
- To provide financial assistance to the needy students
- To help traffic department
Student Traffic Volunteer Scheme (STVS): Eligibility
- College and university students of Odisha
Student Traffic Volunteer Scheme (STVS): Benefits
- Students can get knowledge about traffic rules
- Students can earn a money for their monthly expenditure
- Students get work experience as a volunteer
- Traffic department get help in managing traffic
Student Traffic Volunteer Scheme (STVS): How to apply?
To apply for the Student Traffic Volunteer Scheme you can contact your local traffic police station. Students are shortlisted by a panel following their interviews.
Student Traffic Volunteer Scheme (STVS): Implementation & Highlights
- This scheme was launched in 2017
- This scheme was launched in Bhubaneshwar and Cuttack cities to start with
- Now this scheme extended to 5 cities of Odisha i.e Rourkela, Sambalpur, Berhampur, Balasore and Koraput cities
- The college student will be deployed to control the traffic in these cities
- The student volunteers will help the traffic police at the major traffic square for three hours
- The student volunteers will get a special dress, cap and the wage amount of Rs 3000 per months
- The selected student volunteers will be under the coverage of insurance
More details & references
- Home Department, Government of Odisha
- Implementation of Students Traffic Volunteers Scholarship Scheme in the twin cities of Bhubaneswar-Cuttack