Women Scientist Scheme-B (WOS-B) is another such scheme for women empowerment by Department of Science and Technology (DST) of Government of India. Here, like WOS-A, objective are same but efforts are little more. Under WOS-B a lot of attention is given in bringing back women into the field of science and technology by continuous efforts of providing them platform, opportunity, financial aid and environment. Since this scheme started many women with research work came into main stream and now with the help of WOS-B the women after the academic and who are now between 30-50 years of age are contributing to society’s problem at very ground level. In this way the aim of the scheme is to bring maximum women into main stream. Basically this scheme work in two modes i.e. Internship mode and Project mode.
Internship mode: The women with no prior experience in implementing writing projects in the field of science and technology are given special one year training where they are trained to make things happen and how to carry research. With continuous work in internship mode the women are introduced to Science & Technology (S&T) institutes where they learn new technologies and methods. Then after the internship the work is presented to the committee and on evaluation further fellowship is sanctioned for project mode.
Project mode: The women who are PH.D degree holder or post graduate or working with any post doctorate work and have enough work experience or the one who just finished internship mode are eligible for project mode.
Benefits of Women Scientist Scheme-B:
- Opportunity to learn new skills: The WOS-B take care even if the women has no previous experience in implementing writing projects.
- Fellowship for project mode: The proposed research work is presented to committee and if found good it’s funded completely.
- Complete facilities: The women developing the project or doing any research is given full facilities like funds, equipment, expert advice, environment and nutrition everything is free for the beneficiary.
- Chance to revive life: With this scheme chances of women again entering into her own loved profession are more.
- Internship mode: Fellowship of 18000 per month for M.Sc. and Rs. 25000 per month for Ph.D. candidate under internship mode
- Project mode: Fellowship of Rs. 18000- Rs. 35000 based on type of education and research they are doing.
Eligibility for Women Scientist Scheme-B:
- Women should be Indian national
- Should not be employed at permanent position
- Age must be below 57 years while applying
- The internship stream would be applicable to women scientists/technologists who have Master’s Degree in life sciences/chemical sciences and physical sciences or mathematical sciences or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering / Technology/ Medicine from a recognized University or equivalent but have no experience in project implementation/R&D experience
- PhD degree holder who have 5 year gap after PhD are also eligible but they have to first go through internship mode
- Women having PhD degree or MSc degree having adequate work experience or who is working post doc’s or have just attained their degrees are also eligible for scheme but for project mode
Science streams supported by DST for scholarship
- Physical Science
- Chemical Science
- Mathematical Science
- Life Science
- Earth Science
- Atmospheric Science
- Engineering Science
Document required for the scheme:
- Aadhar card
- Bank passbook having bank account holder name, number, branch name and bank name with MICR code, IFSC code
- Caste Certificate
- All previous education documents like mark sheets and degrees
- Research case study
- Experience letter if any
Whom to contact and where to contact for getting benefits of Women Scientist Scheme-B:
Candidate, to get more information about WOS-B can contact on the following address
The National Academy of Sciences, India (NASI),
5, Lajpatrai Road, Mumfordganj,
Application Form to enroll for the scheme:
Application are accepted once in a year where forms are available in every leading national newspaper and on DST’s official website too (Official Website: http://www.dst.gov.in/)
References and Details:
- Women Scientist Scheme (WOS-B) official website: http://www.dst.gov.in/
- FAQs: http://www.dst.gov.in/faq