The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are considered as one of the most high-status international scholarships in the world. In the year 2000, Gates Cambridge Scholarship program was launched when Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation donated the US $210M to the University of Cambridge. Till date, it is the largest ever single donation to a UK university. Scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Currently, there are over 1,400 Gates Cambridge Scholars and Alumni in more than 100 countries – In the current academic year 95 new Scholarships awarded: 40 in the US round 55 in international round. Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding. Gates Cambridge Scholarships are awarded in two rounds i.e. Round 1 and Round 2.
- Round 1: US citizens normally resident in the USA
- Round 2: Citizens of all countries other than the USA (except the United Kingdom) and US citizens normally resident outside the USA
Benefits of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- University Composition Fee: Candidates have to pay the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- Maintenance allowance: Maintenance allowance for a single student (£14,300 for 12 months at the 2016-17 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Inbound visa costs & associated NHS surcharge costs
- The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding – from £500 to £1,500, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £9,630 for a first child and up to £4,110 for a second child. No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your Ph.D.
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time.
- Some fourth-year funding for Ph.D. Scholars may be provided
Required Eligibility and Conditions for Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- Nationality: People of all Nationalities except the UK are eligible
- Candidates applying to pursue any one of the three below mentioned residential courses at University of Cambridge
- D (three-year research-only degree)
- Sc or M.Litt (two-year research-only degree)
- One year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- Current students at Cambridge if applying for a new postgraduate course are also eligible to apply.
- Courses which are NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- BA (undergraduate)
- BA affiliated (a second BA)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Documents required for Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- Application Form
- Academic transcripts
- Academic references
- One Personal reference (for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship)
- English language test scores
- A research proposal, GRE/GMAT Scores etc.
- Gates Cambridge runs two application rounds each year – you should ensure you apply by the relevant deadline.
- The applicant can Click Here for online application of scholarship
- Candidates can apply on a single form for admission to a course and a College and for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
- After you have submitted your online application you will be given access to the online self-service account, via which you can submit the required supporting documentation.
- These must be provided within 14 days of submitting your application, or your application will not be considered.
- Applicants who are applying for the MBA and M.Fin Courses have to apply directly to the Judge business school using their online registration system.
- The duly filled in Application form along with the above-mentioned enclosures have to be submitted at Graduate Admissions Office within the 7 days of the submission of the application form on or before the due date.
Selection Procedure of Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- Stage 1: Departmental Thinking- As per the guidelines of the Trust, Academic departments of the Cambridge shortlists the most outstanding and eligible candidates on the basis of their academic performances. Shortlisted candidates are considered the most academically outstanding applicants of that year.
- Stage 2: Shortlisting-Once applications are received; Gates Cambridge will ask academic departments in Cambridge to rank their very best candidates. A shortlisting committee then applies the four main criteria of the Scholarships to produce a final interview list.
- Stage 3: Interview-We holds interviews in the USA in late January for Round 1 candidates and in Cambridge in late March for Round 2 candidates. If you are unable to attend in person we will interview you by Skype or phone. You will be told within a week of the interview whether you have been successful.
- The applicant can contact to the following address for more information: Gates Cambridge, Ground Floor, The Warehouse, 33 Bridge Street, Cambridge, CB2 1UW, United Kingdom
- Telephone No: + 44 1223 338467
- Fax No: + 44 1223 577004
References & Details:
- For more information regarding Gates Cambridge Scholarship visit: https://www.gatescambridge.org