What is Tax?
Tax is generally an involuntary fee levied on individuals or corporations that is enforced by a government entity, whether local, regional or national in order to finance government activities. In economics, tax fall on whoever pays the burden of the tax, whether this is the entity being taxed, like a business, or the end consumers of the business’s goods. Simply tax means a fee charged by a government on a product, income, or act the purpose of taxation is to finance government expenditure
What is e-payment of taxes?
This is a facility provided to the taxpayers to make income tax payments through internet, using net-banking facility
Toll-free no: 1800-180-1961
What are the advantages of paying taxes online?
- You can pay taxes from any location at any time through your net-banking account
- Instant transfer of funds from your account
- What you write on the e-challan will be directly sent to Income Tax Department. Banks will not do any data entry
- You can save/print the challan copy and the receipt copy
- As soon as your Bank authorizes payment of the amount, you will receive a clear, legible receipt/counterfoil from your Bank
- Transaction id of the e-payment transaction will be available to you in your bank statement
- You can check online if your money has actually reached the I-T Department. For this, you have to go to Tax Information Network Website: https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/index.html
What is required to pay income tax online?
- Tax payer must have net-banking facility
- Tax payer’s bank should be authorized that provides the e- payment facility and accepts e-payment. Click Here to Check List of Authorized Banks or NSDL-TIN website or ask to your bank
- Post clicking a window will appear which will look like the same window posted below. Then follow the steps you will get known
Online procedure to pay online income tax or e-Payment:
- Tax payer needs to visit NSDL-TIN official website. Click next link to visit NSDL-TIN website Click Hear to Pay Tax Online
- Post visiting this link a window will appear which will look like the same first image posted below. Then click on e-payment Pay Taxes Online button
- Then Click on ‘Click to pay tax online’
- Now a window will appear which will ask you to select the required challan, select the relevant challan i.e. ITNS 280, ITNS 281, ITNS 282 or ITNS 283, as applicable. Please refer the second image posted below
- After selecting the required challan, you will be directed to the screen (online challan Form) for entering the following data
- PAN for non-TDS payments or TAN for TDS payments
- Address of the taxpayer
- Assessment Year or Financial Year
- Major Head Code
- Minor Head Code
- Type of payment (for TDS payments)
- Select the bank name from the drop down provided
- In case of challan no. 280, 282 and 283 the Permanent Account Number (PAN) needs to be entered. In case of challan no. 281 Tax Deduction/Collection Account Number (TAN) needs to be entered. Please ensure that you enter PAN/TAN correctly, as this is extremely important for further processing. The system will check the validity of PAN/TAN. In case PAN/TAN is not available in the database of the Income Tax Department then you cannot proceed with the payment of tax
- After entering all the above detail, click on PROCEED The system will check the validity of PAN/TAN. In case PAN/TAN is not available in the database of the Income Tax Department then you cannot proceed with the payment of tax
- If PAN/TAN is available then TIN system will display the contents you have entered along with the Name appearing in the ITD database with respect the PAN/TAN entered by you
- You can now verify the details entered by you. In case you have made a mistake in data entry, click on EDIT to correct the same. If all the detail and name as per ITD is correct, click on SUBMIT You will be directed to the net-banking site provided by your bank. In case any discrepancy is observed in Name as per ITD, please confirm the TAN / PAN entered by you. Any change required in the name displayed as per the TAN / PAN Master can be updated by filling up the relevant change request forms for TAN / PAN
- Login to the net-banking site with the user id/ password provided by the bank for net-banking purpose and enter payment details at the bank site.
- On successful payment, a challan counterfoil will be displayed containing CIN, payment details and bank name through which e-payment has been made. This counterfoil is proof of payment being made
- TIN system will direct you to the net-banking facility of your bank. You will have to log on to the net banking site of your bank using your login ID and password/PIN provided by the bank. The particulars entered by you at TIN website will be displayed again.
- You will now be required to enter the amount of tax you intend to pay and also select your bank account number from where you intend to pay the tax. After verifying the correctness, you can proceed with confirming the payment
- Your bank will process the transaction online by debiting the bank account indicated by you and generate a printable acknowledgment indicating the Challan Identification Number (CIN). You can verify the status of the challan in the Challan Status Inquiry at NSDL-TIN website using CIN after a week, after making payment
- CIN will be considered sufficient proof if you quote your Challan Identification Number (CIN) as mentioned in your counterfoil in your return.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If I encounter any problem while making payment through internet
If any problem encountered at the NSDL website while entering non-financial data then contact the TIN Call Center at 020 – 27218080 or write to us at
References & details:
- For more details regarding documents and other help please visit official website
- NSDL-TIN website: https://www.tin-nsdl.com/
- Do e-Payment: https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp
- Income Tax Department: http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Pages/e-payment.aspx
- FAQ’s: https://www.tin-nsdl.com/oltas/oltas-faq-payment.php