What is Ladli Laxmi Yojana?
Ladli Laxmi Yojana, launched by the Government of Madhya Pradesh in 2007, aims to transform the negative perception of society towards the birth of a girl child. The scheme focuses on improving the sex ratio, as well as the educational and health status of girls. Following the success of the scheme in Madhya Pradesh, other states have also adopted and implemented it to uplift the lives of girl children.
The Inception of Ladli Laxmi Yojana
In April 2007, Shivraj Singh Chouhan, the then Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, introduced the Ladli Laxmi Yojana. The scheme is now operational in several states, including Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa, and Jharkhand. It provides benefits to girl children born on or after January 1, 2006, in non-taxpaying families and female orphans.
Objectives of Ladli Laxmi Yojana
The Ladli Laxmi Yojana has several key objectives:
- Improve the sex ratio in Madhya Pradesh and other parts of the country.
- Promote a positive mindset towards the birth of girl children in society.
- Enhance the health and education status of girls.
- Reduce population growth rate.
- Encourage family planning and discourage the preference for a male child after the birth of two girls.
- Provide a strong foundation for the bright future of girl children.
- Prevent female infanticide and foeticide.
- Create a supportive environment for the holistic development of girl children.
- Discourage child marriage and promote marriage at a legally acceptable age.
Features of Ladli Laxmi Yojana
The Ladli Laxmi Yojana focuses on empowering girls by providing them with financial assistance. Key features of the scheme include:
- Educational Expenses: Registered girls under the scheme receive financial support for their education. However, if a girl drops out of school, she will not be eligible for the scheme’s benefits.
- Marriage Assistance: The government provides Rs. 1 Lakh to the family of the registered girl child for her marriage.
- Age Restrictions: Girls married before the age of 18 are not eligible for benefits under the Ladli Laxmi Yojana.
Advantages of the Ladli Laxmi Yojana
The Ladli Laxmi Yojana aims to lay a strong foundation for the future of girl children in India. It strives to improve the educational and economic status of registered girl children and bring about positive changes in societal perceptions. The advantages of the scheme are as follows:
- Assurance Certificate: Under the Ladli Laxmi Yojana, an Assurance Certificate worth Rs. 1,18,000 is issued in the name of the girl child.
- Class VI: Rs. 2,000/-
- Class IX: Rs. 4,000/-
- Class XI: Rs. 6,000/-
- Class XII: Rs. 6,000/-
- Lump Sum Amount: If the girl remains unmarried until the age of 18, she receives a lump sum amount of Rs. 1 lakh when she turns 21.
- Monthly Support: The girl also receives a monthly amount of Rs. 200/- during her education years from Class XI to Class XII, in addition to Rs. 4,000/-.
Eligibility Criteria for Ladli Laxmi Yojana
To avail the benefits of Ladli Laxmi Yojana, the following eligibility criteria must be met:
- Date of Birth: The girl child should be born on or after January 1, 2006.
- Registration: The girl child needs to be registered at the local Anganwadi center.
- Domicile: The girl child’s parents should be natives of the respective states where the registration is done.
- Non-Taxpaying Families: The girl child’s parents must not pay any kind of tax to the government.
- Application Timeline: The application for Ladli Laxmi Yojana must be submitted within one year of the girl child’s birth. In case of delayed application, an appeal can be made to the district collector within the following year. The acceptance or rejection of the application lies solely with the collector.
- Parental Death: If the parents of the girl child are deceased, the application can be submitted within five years of the girl child’s birth.
- Family Planning: Families that have adopted family planning methods can benefit from the scheme when they have a second girl child.
- Age of Marriage: The lump sum amount of Rs. 1 lakh is released only when the registered girl child is not married before the age of 18.
- Education Continuity: If the girl discontinues her education, she will not be eligible for the scheme’s benefits.
- Twins: In the case of twin girls, both will be eligible for the scheme. If there is a third girl child, she will also receive the benefit.
- Poverty Line: The scheme is valid only for families below the poverty line.
- Orphan Status: An orphan girl child can receive the scheme’s benefits only when she is adopted, and the adoption certificate is submitted by the family.
Documents Required for Ladli Laxmi Yojana
The following documents are required for applying to Ladli Laxmi Yojana:
- Ladli Laxmi Yojana application form (available on the official website)
- Overall ID and family ID of the girl child
- Photograph of the girl child with mother/father
- Family planning certificate (for the second girl child)
Application Process for Ladli Laxmi Yojana
Applications for Ladli Laxmi Yojana can be submitted both online and offline. Follow the steps below for each method:
Online Application Process
- Visit the official website of Ladli Laxmi Yojana (ladlilaxmi.mp.gov.in)
- Click on the “Apply” button to proceed.
- Tick the self-declaration and click “Go Ahead.”
- Carefully read and fill out the form, then click “Save” to apply.
- Attach scanned copies of all the mandatory documents to the application form.
- Submit the form for further selection process.
Note: Applications can be submitted with the help of an Anganwadi worker, the Project Office/Public Service Centre, or any Internet Cyber Cafe. All documents must be attested by the Project Office for acceptance.
Offline Application Process
If you prefer to apply offline, follow these steps:
- Physically submit the Ladli Laxmi Yojana application form along with the necessary documents to the officer in charge of the registration center at the Lok Seva Kendra.
- Obtain the application form from Anganwadi centers, Gram Panchayats, or Municipal Corporations in the state.
- Once submitted, the application will undergo further processing. Upon approval, the monetary benefits will be transferred directly to thethe applicant’s bank account.
Since the implementation of Ladli Laxmi Yojana, a wave of positive attitude towards the birth of girl children has emerged in society. With financial assistance provided for their education and marriage, the perception of girls as a burden on families is rapidly changing. The scheme strives to empower girls, improve their educational opportunities, and create a brighter future for them. By promoting gender equality and addressing societal biases, Ladli Laxmi Yojana is making significant strides in ensuring the well-being and progress of girl children across India.
Ladli Laxmi Yojana FAQs:
1. What is Ladli Laxmi Yojana? Ladli Laxmi Yojana is a government scheme aimed at empowering girl children and improving their educational and health status.
2. When was Ladli Laxmi Yojana launched? Ladli Laxmi Yojana was launched by the Government of Madhya Pradesh in 2007.
3. What are the objectives of Ladli Laxmi Yojana? The objectives of Ladli Laxmi Yojana include improving the sex ratio, promoting positive thinking towards the birth of girl children, enhancing their health and education, and reducing population growth.
4. Who can benefit from Ladli Laxmi Yojana? Girl children born on or after January 1, 2006, in non-taxpaying families and female orphans can benefit from Ladli Laxmi Yojana.
5. What are the key features of Ladli Laxmi Yojana? Key features of Ladli Laxmi Yojana include financial assistance for education, monetary support for marriage, and restrictions on marrying before the age of 18.
6. How does Ladli Laxmi Yojana empower girl children? Ladli Laxmi Yojana empowers girl children by providing financial support for education, ensuring a strong foundation for their future, and changing societal perceptions.
7. What are the advantages of Ladli Laxmi Yojana? Advantages of Ladli Laxmi Yojana include an assurance certificate, a lump sum amount at a certain age, and monthly support during education.
8. What are the eligibility criteria for Ladli Laxmi Yojana? Eligibility criteria for Ladli Laxmi Yojana include being born on or after January 1, 2006, registration at the local Anganwadi center, and parents not paying any government taxes.
9. What documents are required to apply for Ladli Laxmi Yojana? The required documents for Ladli Laxmi Yojana include the application form, overall ID and family ID of the girl child, photographs, and family planning certificate (for the second girl child).
10. Can orphan girls benefit from Ladli Laxmi Yojana? Yes, orphan girls can benefit from Ladli Laxmi Yojana if they are adopted and the adoption certificate is submitted by the family.
11. How can I apply for Ladli Laxmi Yojana? You can apply for Ladli Laxmi Yojana both online and offline. Online, you need to visit the official website and fill out the application form. Offline, you can physically submit the form at the designated registration center.
12. Can the benefits be availed if the application is made after one year of the girl child’s birth? An appeal can be made within the next year to the district collector for delayed applications. The acceptance or rejection of the application lies solely with the collector.
13. Can a girl child receive the benefits if her parents are deceased? In case of parental death, the application can be submitted within five years of the girl child’s birth.
14. How many girls from a family can benefit under Ladli Laxmi Yojana? Two girls from a family can benefit under Ladli Laxmi Yojana. In the case of twins, the third girl child will also receive the benefits.
15. Is the scheme applicable to families above the poverty line? No, the scheme is valid only for families below the poverty line.
16. How is the application processed, and how are the monetary benefits provided? The application undergoes processing, and upon approval, the monetary benefits are directly transferred to the applicant’s bank account.
17. How has Ladli Laxmi Yojana impacted society? Ladli Laxmi Yojana has brought about a positive change in societal attitudes towards the birth of girl children and has provided opportunities for their education and future.
18. Is Ladli Laxmi Yojana limited to a specific region in India? No, Ladli Laxmi Yojana is operational in multiple states across India, including Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa, and Jharkhand.
19. Does Ladli Laxmi Yojana promote gender equality? Yes, Ladli Laxmi Yojana promotes gender equality by empowering girl children and providing them with equal opportunities for education and development.
20. How does Ladli Laxmi Yojana contribute to reducing female infanticide? Ladli Laxmi Yojana aims to change societal perceptions and create a positive environment for the birth and well-being of girl children, thereby discouraging female infanticide and promoting their rights.