Basically H-1B visa is a type of legal permission endorsed by the specific country government which says that a person is allowed to work and stay in the that country for a specified period of time. Usually H-1B visas allows a person to live in USA for up to 6 years. Since it shows your status, it is the most crucial requirement because it validates your presence at an exotic land.
Working Visa: When someone is planning to work in any foreign country he/she has to apply for Working Visa. In USA it’s called H-1B. The candidate can apply for H-1B from India or from US itself. The article talks about almost all essential information required for application.
Procedure to follow for H-1B Visa:
- The very major requirement to be able to apply for H-1B visa is that you should have a legal and qualifying H-1B sponsorship job with a company in USA which will sponsor your visa.
- Once the company sponsor your visa the US Immigration Bureau processes the application.
- Then after approval of visa during interview passport is given out within a week
Documents required for H-1B Visa application:
- Sponsorship job offer from a US employer
- Copy of your current resume
- Copy of your current passport
- Copy of degree certificates and transcripts or mark sheets (if applicable)
- Employment reference letter from previous employer (if applicable)
- Professional License (if applicable)
- Copies of any professional development course certificates (if applicable)
- Visa interview appointment letter
- Visa fee receipt $190
List of additional documents required if you are already in USA and applying for H-1B:
- Copy of the front and back of I-94 card.
- USA social security number
- Copy of I-20 authorizing practical training and copy of EAD card
- Copies of any prior H-1B approval notices or J1 (IAP-66 forms)
- If you are already in US and planning to extend your stay with same employer or changing the employer then do carry a copy of most recent pay stubs or a letter for your current H-1B employer verifying your current employment with them.
Information/Documents required from the US employer:
- Job title of the position
- Description of the job
- Salary offered
- The company’s minimum requirement for the job
- Name and job title of the person who will sign the forms on behalf of the company
- Name and address of the company
- Financial/Bank details of the company
- Employer federal Tax.id number- establishment year, number of employees’ employed, gross income and net annual income.
- Telephone number and Fax number of the company
- Client site letter on official letter head
- Completed US Immigration Bureau application form and fee
Information/Documents required if you are taking spouse/children with you:
- Full name, date and place of birth.
- Marriage Certificate.
- Birth Certificate of your children
- Copy of spouse and children’s passport
- Social Security Number of spouse/children (if in US)
- Copy of front and back of their I-94 card.
Whom to approach for booking an H-1B Visa interview date
Procedure for applying a Visa is almost online. To book an appointment candidate needs to visit US embassy official website and complete all procedures online and schedule an appointment. Interview takes place at US consulates.
USA consulates in India:
The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi:
Shanti Path, Chanakya Puri 110021
The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay)
C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras)
220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Culcutta)
5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad
Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003
Online registration links