The Government of India has announced a reimbursement scheme called Seva Bhoj Yojana for religious organization who provide free food / prasad / langar / bhandara to the devotees. Under the scheme the central government will reimburse Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Integrated Goods and Services Tax (IGST) on purchase of raw items such as ghee, edible oil, atta ,maida, rava, flour, rice, pulses, sugar, jiggery etc which are usually used in the preparation of prasad or food at the religious places and charitable trusts. Such institution provides free food without any discrimination to public / devotees. The objective of the scheme is to reduce financial burden on them so that they can continue to provide free food and serve any many people as possible.
What is Seva Bhoj Yojana? A govt of India scheme to reimburse GST and IGST on raw materials for prasad / food to religious and charitable trusts which provide free food / prasad for more than 5 years.
Seva Bhoj Yojana Benefits:
- Religious and charitable will get reimbursement for GST and center`s share of IGST paid on the raw material for prasad or food
Seva Bhoj Yojana Eligibility:
- Charitable & religious institutes such as Temples, Gurudwara, Mosque, Church, Dharmik Ashram, Dargah, Matth, Monasteries etc
- Who are in existence and serving free food for more than 5 years to more than 5000 people every month without any discrimination
- Charitable & religious institutes covered under Section 10( 23BBA) or 12AA of the Income Tax Act or Institutions registered as Society under Societies Registration Act (XXI of 1860) or public trusts
Seva Bhoj Yojana: How to apply
- All eligible institutions need to register themselves with Darpan portal at ngodarpan.gov.in
- Provide all the required details along with the registration and other certificates as instructed
- The ministry then will verify all the documents
- A recommendation committee will be formed which will review the application within 4 weeks
- Based on the recommendation committee competent authority in the Ministry shall register charitable religious institutions for reimbursing claim of CGST and central share of IGST
Seva Bhoj Yojana Implementation / How it works?
- All such charitable and religious institutions will be registered under Ministry of Culture for time period ending with finance commission period
- The registrations will be renewed by the ministry based on their performance
- The ministry is also planning to launch a website where details of all such organizations will be available for public and GST authorities
- To claim reimbursements all such institutions will be required to file reimbursement claim for GST and Center Govts share of IGST at the designed authority of GST Department at the state level
- All such institutes also need to notify the ministry in case of change in the place or other details