Adopt a Heritage Scheme (AHS) / Adopt a Heritage: Apni Dharohar, Apni Pehchan is an initiative of the Ministry of Tourism. Govt. of India in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture and Archaeological Survey of India along with State / Union Territory governments. The scheme was launched in Septemeber 2017 on World Tourism Day by President of India Shri Ramnath Kovind.
The objective of the scheme is to protect, enhance and promote heritage sites, monuments and tourist places across India. Under this scheme public/private sector companies, corporate, citizens and individuals are invited by the governments to develop selected monuments, heritage and tourist sites across India. These private entities can enroll for the adoption and then develop these tourist sites and will be called as Monument Mitras. They will be given responsibility of providing and maintaining the basic amenities such drinking water, ease of access for the differently abled and senior citizens, standardized signage, cleanliness, public conveniences, illumination along with advanced amenities such as surveillance systems, night-viewing facilities and tourism facilitation centers. Many of the national and international corporates has huge Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) fund which they usually donate to the society. These funds can be used for adopting the monument under this scheme.
For the first five years, the sites/monuments are selected on the basis of the footfall and visibility. People or companies interested in participating in the scheme needs to apply and bid for the adoption. The selection will be made by the the oversight and vision committee co-chaired by the Tourism Secretary and Culture secretary. These bids are not financial bids. Also, this is a non-revenue generating scheme. To maintain and upkeeping of the sites it is essential for the Monument Mitras to spends his CSR funds. These Monument Mitras will get a limited amount of visibility on the site premises and on the Incredible India website. The oversight committee has the right to terminate MOU in case of non-compliance or non-performance.
What is Adopt a Heritage Scheme (AHS)?
An innovative govt of India scheme to protect, enhance and promote heritage sites, monuments and tourist places across India by inviting public/private sector companies, corporate, citizens and individuals to adopt tourist places.
Adopt a Heritage Scheme (AHS): Objectives
- To promote tourism
- To preserve the heritage sites, monuments and tourist places
- To provide all the amenities and facilities at tourist sites
- To create tourism jobs
Adopt a Heritage Scheme (AHS): Eligibility
- Public sector companies
- Private sector companies
- Corporate citizens
Adopt a Heritage Scheme (AHS): Benefits
- The basic tourism infrastructure is developed
- It promotes cultural and heritage of the country
- Increase in tourism as tourist places will have good amenities
- Increases the number of tourist in the country
- Employment generation
- It increases the economic development of the country
Who are Monument Mitras? Public/private sector companies, corporate, citizens and individuals who are interested in adopting, protect, enhancing and promote heritage sites, monuments and tourist places across India.
Monument Mitra Responsibilities: Providing and maintaining the basic amenities such as
- Drinking water,
- Ease of access for the differently abled and senior citizens,
- Standardized signage,
- Public conveniences,
- Illumination along with advanced amenities such as
- Surveillance systems,
- Night-viewing facilities and
- Tourism facilitation centers
Adopt a Heritage Scheme (AHS): How to apply / How to be Monument Mitra?
STEP 1: CLICK HERE to register first, provide your email id and click on Generate OTP.
STEP 2: You will receive OTP via email, enter the OTP and click on Next
STEP 3: Provide your details along with the details of your company and click on Next button
STEP 4: CLICK HERE to download the Invitation for Express of Interest (EoI) template, fill it completely and upload it and then click on Next button
STEP 5: Select tourist place of your interest
STEP 6: Submit expression of interest to adopt the place of your choice
STEP 7: Based on the merit of the proposal EOIs are shortlisted
STEP 8: Vision bidding and evaluation of all the proposals
STEP 9: Then selection of the Monument Mitra is made
STEP 10: MoU is signed
Indicative List of important monuments open for adoption in 2018: CLICK HERE to download the list of monuments available for adoption.
Adopt a Heritage Scheme (AHS): Implementation & Highlights
- A scheme to based on public private partnership to protect India`s heritage
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture and Archaeological Survey of India along with State/ Union Territory governments
- This scheme was launched in Septemeber 2017
- The individuals or companies to adopt the monuments to be called as Monument Mitras
- They will be given the responsibility of maintaining and enhancing the monuments
- Under the scheme, total 31 Monument Mitras have been approved to adopt 95 tourist sites across India
- MOU’s have been signed between the Ministry of Tourism, Adventure Tour Operators Association of India (ATOAI) and the Government of Jammu & Kashmir for Mt. Stok Kangri, Ladakh;
- MOU’s have been signed between the Ministry of Tourism, the Adventure Tour Operators Association of India and the Uttarakhand government for trail to Gaumuk
- MOU’s have been signed between the Ministry of Tourism, the Ministry of Culture, the ASI and Dalmia Bharat for the Red Fort, Delhi and Gandikota fort in Andhra Pradesh.
- MOU is signed only for the Red Fort for the development, operations & maintenance of tourism amenities in & around Red Fort
More Details & References
- Official Site of Adopt a Heritage: adoptaheritage.in
- Guidelines for Adopt a Heritage
- Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Tourism, Government of India
- Ministry of Tourism, Government of India
- Invitation For Expression Of Interest for Adopt a Heritage
- MOU for Red fort between Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Culture & ASI
- Project guidelines
- Advertisements for inviting Expression of Interest
- Indicative design guidelines
- Indicative list of tourist places
- List of sites opted till date
- Minutes of Oversight & Vision Committee Meeting
- MoUs signed under Adopt a Heritage Project
- Expression of interest
- Letter of Intent (LoI)