Birth Certificate is a document of proof of birth of a person. It is issued by the government as per Registration of Birth and Death Act, 1969. It is a legal document issued to any person born in the state. The birth must be registered within 21 days. A birth certificate is valid for entire life.
Need of Birth Certificate:
Birth certificate is required as a proof of Age, nationality, while taking admissions in schools, as a proof while applying for Voter Id, while receiving insurance benefits, obtaining driving license, passport, pension, etc.
Important documents required while applying for a Birth Certificate:
- Proof of birth place from the medical institution, Application form, Residence proof are required while applying
- In case the birth has taken place in the hospital/ dispensary just the register record or Certificate of Doctor is enough. Usually the births are registered by the hospital authorities itself.
- In case the birth takes place at home, the head of the family/member of the family is supposed to get it registered with the local authorities
Apart from the above-mentioned documents, identity proof of parents for verification, parents’ marriage certificate, signed declaration may be required.
How to Apply for Birth Certificate:
One can apply for Birth certificate in Tamil Nadu Offline:
For Applying Offline:
- Visit the nearest Block Development Officer’s Office/ Nagarpalika Office/ Health department
- Get the application form (Hard copy) and fill it with the required details and check if any document is required.
- Applicant can also take a printout of the application form from the site, manually fill it, sign the declaration, paste photograph and submit it in the office with all the necessary documents, if required.
- Usually details like, DOB of the child, gender, name, name of the father, place of birth, weight of the child, details of the hospital etc are required.
- Applicant will get an application no. and acknowledgement slip for reference
- After thorough verification by the authorities, the Birth certificate will be issued.
- Once the birth is registered by the concerned hospital authorities, one can download the birth certificate online.
- For verifying the birth registration and downloading the same, one can visit the official website @ tn.gov.in
- In the services column, click on the Service wise listing option
- A list of all the services provided will be displayed
- Click on Apply for Birth Certificates- Chennai Corporation, then click on the given URL
- It will be redirected to the Birth certificates section on the GCC portal
- On the next page you can Fill in the details regarding Child name, gender, DOB, place of birth, father’s name, mother’s name etc
- Click on submit
- One can download the computer-generated certificate s per the unique registration no.
Processing Time: A period of 7-15 days from the date of application is required for processing a Birth Certificate in Tamil Nadu.
Validity: Birth certificate is valid forever