Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY) is the mandatory insurance scheme to safegard Indian emigrant workers. The scheme is mandatory for Indians working abroad falling under Emigration Check Required (ECR) category for overseas employment to ECR countries. The scheme was originally launched in 2003 and revised in 2006, 2008 and 2017. The Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY) now provides strong coverage for the Indians working in abroad when they fall sick.
Benefits of Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY):
- The scheme provides insurance cover of Rs. 10 lakhs in case of accidental death/permanent disability
- The premium of the insurance is very low i.e. Rs. 275 and Rs. 375 for a period of two and three years respectively
- The scheme is now mandatory for various professions falling under work categories under Section 2(o) of Emigration Act, 1983
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY) now provides global insurance coverage irrespective of location and employer
- The premiums now can be paid online and the claim process are now made seamless, simple and fast
Features of Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY) 2017:
- Insurance coverage of Rs. 10 lakh in case of accidental death or disability abroad
- Benefits are provided irrespective of the location and employer
- Medical insurance coverage of Rs. 1 lakh in case of diseases, sickness, injuries, ailment and upto Rs. 50 thousand in case of hospitlization
- One way economy fare back to India from the nearest airport
- Family hospitalization in India (spouse and children under 21 years of age)
- Maternity expenses support to women emigrant worker upto Rs. 50 thousand
- Assistance of Rs. 45 thousand for legal expenses on litigation related to emigrant’s overseas employment
For more details on Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY) click here.