The Union Cabinet approved Prime Ministers Research Fellows (PMRF) Scheme under which 3,000 B.Tech. graduates across the country will be given grant to pursue Ph.D. in IITs and IIScs. The scheme was announced during the budget session 2018 by the Finance Minister Arun Jaitely. Rs 1,650 crore are alloted for the scheme for the period of seven years beginning 2018-19.
What is Prime Ministers Research Fellows (PMRF) Scheme?
Students who have completed or studying B. Tech or M.Tech or MSc in the science and technology streams IISc/IITs/NITs/IISERs/IIITs will be offered direct admission in the PhD programme in the IITs/IISc.
Prime Ministers Research Fellows (PMRF) Scheme: Benefits
- Opportunity to pursue Ph.D. in IITs & IIScs
- Selected students will get the grant of Rs. 70,000 per month for first 2 years
- A grant of Rs. 75,000 per month during third year and
- Grant of Rs. 80,000 per month during forth and fifth year
- A research grant of Rs. 2 lakh each year for the period of five years to cover foreign travel expenses for presenting research papers at conferences and seminars
Prime Ministers Research Fellows (PMRF) Scheme: Eligibility
- Students who are studying or has completed their B. Tech or M.Tech or MSc
- Students in the science and technology streams
- Students from IISc/IITs/NITs/IISERs/IIITs
- Selected students shortlisted through the selection process as laid down in the PMRF guidelines
Other Important Fellowships & Scholarships:
- Distinguished Investigator Award (SERB DIA) for Principal Investigators of SERB projects: eligibility, benefits & how to apply online at serbonline.in
- Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship (OVDF) for doctoral research abroad: eligibility, benefits, how to apply online at serbonline.in
- Overseas Doctoral Fellowship (ODF): benefits, eligibility and online application procedure at serb.gov.in
- Teacher Associateship for Research Excellence (TARE): eligibility, benefits, how to apply online at serbonline.in