BPL long form / What does BPL stands for? Below Poverty Line
What is BPL? It is a economic benchmark/line set by the government of India to identify individuals and households who are poor and needs government assistance and help. It is based on the individual or household income and the property owned by him/them.
What is BPL List? BPL list is the list of the individuals or households who`s income is less than a certain minimum yearly income decided by the government.
What is Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC)?
- A study of socio-economic status of rural and urban households in India.
- SECC-2011: Recently the census was conducted in 2011.
- The study is performed on the three parameters rural households, urban households and caste based.
- The survey was conducted by 3 various government authorities in India.
- Department of Rural Development (DoRD) conducted Census in rural areas.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (MoHUPA) conducted the census in urban areas.
- Caste Census was performed under the administrative control of Ministry of Home Affairs, Registrar General of India (RGI) and Census Commissioner of India.
- Socio-Economic Caste Census 2011 was launched on 29th June 2011.
How does census works?
- Each of the authorities responsible for the census creates a task force for the performing census across the country.
- They either hire employees in government organizations such as school teachers or private employees on contract.
- Each of the task force and the teams are given an area to cover and bring details form each households.
- They all go to the field and run a door to door campaign
- The team makes a note of number of family members, their names, ages, disabilities if any, education, profession etc from each of the households.
- This data is them aggregated from all the teams, corrected and then published
Why Census is performed?
- Census provides the number and details of the citizens in India.
- It also provides socio-economic parameters of each of the households.
- The data is used to for policy, research and for implementing various development programmes.
Socio-Economic Caste Census 2011: Key Findings
- Rural India
- Total Households in the Country (Rural plus Urban): 24.49 Crore
- Total Rural Households: 17.97 Crore
- Total Excluded Households (based on fulfilling any of the 14 parameters of exclusion): 7.07 Crore (39.35%)
- Automatically included (based on fulfilling any of the 5 parameters of inclusion): 15.95 Lakh (0.89%)
- Households considered for deprivation: 10.74 Crore
- Households not reporting deprivation: 2.01 Crore
- Households with any one of the 7 deprivation: 8.73 Crore
- Deprivation Data
- Households with one or less room, kuccha walls and kuccha roof: 2.38 Crore(13.28%)
- No adult member in household between age 18 and 59: 65.33 Lakh (3.64%)
- Female headed household with no adult male member between 16 and 59: 69.43 Lakh (3.86%)
- Households with differently able member with no other able bodied adult member: 7.20 Lakh (0.40%)
- SC/ST Households: 3.87 Crore (21.56%)
- Households with no literate adult above age 25 years: 4.22 Crore (23.52%)
- Landless households deriving a major part of their income from manual labour: 5.40 Crore (30.04%)
- Source of House Income
- Total Rural Households: 17.97 Crore
- Cultivation: 5.41 Crore (30.10%)
- Manual Casual labour: 9.20 Crore (51.18%)
- Part time or full time domestic service: 44.87 Lakh (2.50%)
- Rag picking, etc.: 4.10 Lakh (0.23%)
- Non Agricultural own account enterprise: 28.88 Lakh (1.61%)
- Begging/charity/alms: 6.69 Lakh (0.37%)
- Others ( including government service, private service, PSU employment, etc.: 2.51 Crore (13.97%)
BPL List: how to check name in BPL list? Government has published the list of eligible households for MNRGA. The scheme is applicable to the BPL families. It can be used to find name in the BPL list.
STEP 1: CLICK HERE to go to the MNREGA official website mnregaweb2.nic.in
STEP 2: Select your state or union territory, district, tehsil/taluk, gram panchayat along with the language and click on the Submit button
STEP 3: It will show the complete list of people with BPL families with age, gender, category, father`s name, address etc
STEP 4: You need to manually search your name in the list
How to download Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) 2011 BPL List?
STEP 1: The SECC 2011 BPL list is available in various parameters such as state-wise, zone-wise and category-wise. Click on the links below for the parameter you are interested in:
- SECC 2011 Summery
- Type of Households
- Gender Profile (Rural)
- Education Profile (Rural)
- Disability Profile (Rural)
- Caste Profile (Rural)
- Housing Dwelling Wall Type (Rural)
- Housing Dwelling Roof Type (Rural)
- PTG , LRBL , MS (Rural)
- Employment and Income (Rural)
- Main Source Of Income (Rural)
- Assets Ownership (Rural)
- Land Ownership (Rural)
- All Category (Rural)
- SC Category (Rural)
- ST Category (Rural)
- Other Category (Rural):
- Female Headed (Rural):
- Disable Member Household (Rural)
STEP 2: Then click on the Save Report button to download the list in excel format
More details & references
- Socio-Economic Caste Census-2011 or SECC-2011, Government of India
- Socio-Economic Caste Census, State Summary Report, Government of Indi
- SECC 2011 – Find Name in Final BPL List 2018
- House Listing and Housing Census Data – 2011
- List of schemes & subsidies of Government of India
- Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India official website: censusindia.gov.in