The Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs, Government of India has announced the Pension to Meritorious Sportsperson (PMS) Scheme. The objective of the scheme is to honor medal winning retired athletes in the country and to provide financial support to them post retirement. The athletes who participated in international competitions and won medals for the country and have retired from active sports are eligible under the scheme. The government gives the lifelong pension to the retired athletes. Recently the revised pension is announced by the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri. Rajywardhan Singh Rathore.
Currently, 588 sports people are getting pension under this scheme, according to the Minister`s in his written reply in Lok Sabha. With the effect from 1st April 2018, the pension rate has been revised / increased for the sports person. The pension for the sports person is now doubled.
Finance Minister Shri Arun Jaitley allocated the budget of Rs. 2,196.35 crores in the budget 2018-19 for Sports and Youth Affairs. The budget is increased by Rs. 258.19 crores as compared to the budget allocated earlier for the sports in the country which was Rs. 1,943.21 cores.
What is the Pension to Meritorious Sportsperson (PMS) Scheme? A pension scheme by the Sports Ministry of India to honor medal winning retired athletes in the country to support them financially post retirement.
Pension to Meritorious Sportsperson (PMS) Scheme: Objectives
- To honor financial support to the retired athletes
- To provide financial security post retirements
- To provide retirement pension to the athletes
Pension to Meritorious Sportsperson (PMS) Scheme: Eligibility
- Sports person should be Indian citizens
- Sports person should have won the gold, silver or bronze medals in international competitions such as Olympic Games, World Cup in Olympics and Asian Games disciplines, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games and Para- Olympic Games.
- Applicable to the sports person who retired from their respective active sports
Pension to Meritorious Sportsperson (PMS) Scheme: Benefits
The rate of monthly pension for athletes with the effect from 1st April 2018 is as follows:
- Medalist at the Olympics Games / Para-Olympics Games: Rs. 20,000 / month
- Gold Medalists at the World Cup/ World Championship in Olympic and Asian Games discipline: Rs. 16,000 / month
- Silver & Bronze medalist at the World Cup in Olympic and Asian Games discipline: Rs. 14,000 / month
- Gold Medalists of the Asian/ Commonwealth Games / Para Asian Games: Rs. 14,000 / month
- Silver Medalists of the Asian/ Commonwealth Games / Para Asian Games: Rs. 12,000 / month
NOTE: World Cup/ World Championship held once in four years only shall be considered
Pension to Meritorious Sportsperson (PMS) Scheme: Documents Required
- Aadhar card
- Address proof
- Birth certificate
- Bank passbook which shows bank account details
Pension to Meritorious Sportsperson (PMS) Scheme: Step by step application procedure / How to apply?
STEP 1: The application form for the sportsperson pension is available on the Ministry for Youth Affairs & Sports, Government of India. CLICK HERE to download the application form (Annexure I & Annexure II).
STEP 2: Fill in the Annexure I and sign it. Take a signature of the Recommending Authority or President or Secretary of the concerned National Sports Federation or (Deputy Secretary/Director, Sports Department on behalf of the State Government) along with signature of a Gazetted Officer.
STEP 3: Fill in the Mandate Form/Annexure II it is required for payments to be transfered to your account, sign the form and take a bank stamp.
STEP 4: Submit both the forms along with required documents to the Sports Federation.
Pension to Meritorious Sportsperson (PMS) Scheme: Implementation & Highlights
- The Ministry of Sports & Youth Affairs has announced increase in the sports person pension
- This scheme is meant for meritorious sportspersons who have won the medals for the country in international competitions & have retired from active sports
- The 588 sportspeople are currently getting benefits under this scheme
- The rate for this pension scheme has been revised with the effect from the date 1st April 2018
- Rs 2,196.35 crore has been sanction by Finance minister in the union budget 2018-19 for the sports person pension
- The Sports Authority of India (SAI) has been granted a total of Rs 429.56 crorec as compared to last years Rs 481 crore for organizing the national camps
- Rs 160 crore are allocated to National Service Scheme, as compared to previous years Rs 144 crore
- Rs 80 crore has been granted to the National Youth Corps previously Rs. 60 crores were allocated
- All payments will be given from 1st April 2018 and no arrears will be given for the previous tenure
- Sports person will be eligible only for one pension under the scheme
- The pension shall be payable to a sportsperson on his or her attaining the age of 30 years or on the date of retirement from active sports
- The pension will be given for lifetime of the sports person
More Details & References
- Ministry For Youth Affairs & Sports, Government of India: yas.nic.in
- Pension Meritorious Sportspersons, Ministry For Youth Affairs & Sports, Government of India
- PDF of Details & Application Form for Pension to Meritorious Sportspersons Scheme
- List of Selected Sportspersons for the Pension to Meritorious Sportspersons Scheme